What is involved in Business case
Find out what the related areas are that Business case connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Business case thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Business case journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Business case leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Business case related domains to cover and 192 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Business case, Business plan, Case competition, Cost–benefit analysis, Customer satisfaction, Gap analysis, Innovation, Net present value, Opportunity cost, Optimism bias, Planning fallacy, Presentation, Project, Project management, Project manager, Public sector, Reference class forecasting, Resources, Software upgrade, Stakeholder, System performance, Win-win:
Business case Critical Criteria:
Study Business case issues and assess and formulate effective operational and Business case strategies.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Business case strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Business case? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Business case goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Who is driving and leading the business case development for your organization?
– Is there a business case where additional cyber security risks are involved?
– What is the security -life cycle identity management business case?
– Have sensitivity of the business case been calculated?
– Right business case?
Business plan Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Business plan quality and learn.
– Its important to reach your customers. Every business, if wise, will have a promotion and advertising plan. You need to consider the image you want to project to your customers about your business. Will your business stand out because you are a proven a leader in the service or product industry by providing innovative services or products, or you provide customer confidence by providing high quality Customer Service?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Business case that make it risky?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Business case effort?
– Have Business Plans with your Critical Preferred Vendors?
– How do we go about Comparing Business case approaches/solutions?
– Do you need to develop a Human Resources manual?
– How do you plan to address Customer Service?
– Do we offer Superior Customer Service?
Case competition Critical Criteria:
Group Case competition visions and pay attention to the small things.
– Does Business case include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– what is the best design framework for Business case organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– What is the total cost related to deploying Business case, including any consulting or professional services?
Cost–benefit analysis Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Cost–benefit analysis results and figure out ways to motivate other Cost–benefit analysis users.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Business case values?
– How important is Business case to the user organizations mission?
– What is the purpose of Business case in relation to the mission?
Customer satisfaction Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Customer satisfaction visions and define what our big hairy audacious Customer satisfaction goal is.
– Do we Make sure to ask about our vendors customer satisfaction rating and references in our particular industry. If the vendor does not know its own rating, it may be a red flag that youre dealing with a company that does not put Customer Service at the forefront. How would a company know what to improve if it had no idea what areas customers felt were lacking?
– What is the difference, if any, in customer satisfaction between the use and results of agile-driven software development methods and the use and results of plan-driven software development software development methods?
– How do your measurements capture actionable Business case information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– How important are hard measurements that show return on investment compared to soft measurements that demonstrate customer satisfaction and public perception?
– Performance Standard: What should be the standards for completeness, reliability, accuracy, timeliness, customer satisfaction, quality and/or cost?
– Has it re-engineered or redesigned processes, and leveraged technologies to improve responsiveness, Customer Service and customer satisfaction?
– How does the company manage the design and delivery of products and services that promise a high level of customer satisfaction?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Business case is underway?
– Is the Customer Satisfaction Process something which you think can be automated via an IVR?
– How does the firm measure and monitor client service and customer satisfaction?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Business case?
– What employee characteristics drive customer satisfaction?
Gap analysis Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Gap analysis projects and devise Gap analysis key steps.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Business case objectives?
– Is there any existing Business case governance structure?
– What are internal and external Business case relations?
Innovation Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Innovation strategies and devise Innovation key steps.
– What are the key elements of your Business case performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Do you see the need to clarify copyright aspects of the data-driven innovation (e.g. with respect to technologies such as text and data mining)?
– In some projects up to 85% of the changes are performed by a small core of developers, what space for innovation is left?
– Do you see regulatory restrictions on data/servers localisation requirements as obstacles for data-driven innovation?
– To what extent does your organization have experience with big data and data-driven innovation (DDI)?
– The real challenge: are you willing to get better value and more innovation for some loss of privacy?
– To what extent does data-driven innovation add to the competitive advantage (CA) of your company?
– What are the disruptive innovations in the middle-term that provide near-term domain leadership?
– How do we enable market innovation while controlling security and privacy?
– What can management do to improve value creation from data-driven innovation?
– Are employees open to new ideas and will they support innovations?
– Do you collaborate with customers for product development and/or innovation?
– How does technology destiny affect organizational innovation?
– What can we do to foster greater levels of innovation?
– Does technological diversification promote innovation?
– What is the newest innovation in online learning?
– What are current Business case Paradigms?
– How do we foster innovation?
Net present value Critical Criteria:
Depict Net present value tasks and learn.
– When using the net present value method, how does one know whether the true rate of return is greater or less than the discount rate?
– What is the major disadvantage of the net present value method?
– Has the products net present value (npv) been calculated?
– What are the usability implications of Business case actions?
– How would one define Business case leadership?
– Are there Business case problems defined?
Opportunity cost Critical Criteria:
Face Opportunity cost tasks and adjust implementation of Opportunity cost.
– In the case of a Business case project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Business case project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Business case project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– What is the opportunity cost of providing staff with the potential to learn new technologies or increase their expertise?
– What are the opportunity costs for conducting the program?
Optimism bias Critical Criteria:
Steer Optimism bias adoptions and probe Optimism bias strategic alliances.
– Which customers cant participate in our Business case domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Does our organization need more Business case education?
Planning fallacy Critical Criteria:
Track Planning fallacy failures and track iterative Planning fallacy results.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Business case opportunities costing us money?
– What are specific Business case Rules to follow?
– How do we maintain Business cases Integrity?
Presentation Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Presentation quality and achieve a single Presentation view and bringing data together.
– Can the system protect against unauthorized access by use of an image versus presentation of an actual biometric object (i.e., presentation of a picture of an iris/retina versus presentation of the actual eye)?
– You meet with the chief executive – you start your presentation. after the first three of sixty slides he/she says, I am convinced, what should we do?
– Do the requirements that weve gathered and the models that demonstrate them constitute a full and accurate representation of what we want?
– Has the presentation of search results based on various parameters such as content type or topic been determined?
– Global email, posters, paycheck advice messages, intranet, presentations, Health & Benefit Fair?
– Is any of this documentation suitable for a journal article or conference presentation?
– How do we measure improved Business case service perception, and satisfaction?
– Does Business case analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– What are the key promotion and shelf presentation tactics?
– Is there a prescriptive presentation format?
Project Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Project projects and separate what are the business goals Project is aiming to achieve.
– Troubleshooting – are problems related to what is actually changing (the change), to the management of tasks and resources to make the change happen (project management) or to issues relating to employee engagement, buy-in and resistance (Change Management)?
– Are the data and associated software produced and/or used in the project accessible and in what modalities, scope, licenses (e.g. licencing framework for research and education, embargo periods, commercial exploitation, etc.)?
– Research reveals that more than half of business intelligence projects hit a low degree of acceptance or fail. What factors influence the implementation negative or positive?
– Do managers really matter to the success of an agile project? Are they superfluous? What happens when managers step over the prescribed line?
– What are the major differences between cash flow analyses for an expansion project and those for a replacement project?
– So, if the project no longer needs a detailed master project plan, why does it need a project manager?
– Can agile project management be adopted by industries other than software development?
– Why are project management models not used in maintenance?
– Is this the first time this team has worked together?
– When and how is Change Management used on a project?
– What are the risks of not transferring knowledge?
– Describe Group efficiency and effectiveness?
– Is there the right balance of projects?
– How important is the original schedule?
– Why do we need to manage project risk?
– Is program in place as intended?
– What resources are necessary?
– What is a risk review?
– Why is it required?
Project management Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Project management planning and raise human resource and employment practices for Project management.
– Are there implications for the observed success of agile to date that reflects on our larger understanding of organizations and their fundamental nature?
– How much and which way a traditional project manager has to change his/her management style or way of working in order to be an agile project manager?
– Are your current project management and time and expense capture applications outdated and expensive to update and maintain?
– What additional schedule (and cost) would be required if they continued at historical or any other lower burn rates?
– How can an agile project manager balance team level autonomy and individual level autonomy in agile software teams?
– A heuristic, a decision support system, or new practices to improve current project management?
– What did you accomplish yesterday, what will you do today, and what impediments are getting in your way?
– What scenarios in terms of projected cost, schedule, and scope could/should we plan for?
– So, how do we adapt project management techniques to deal with this key reality?
– Are the project teams ready to function within agile project management?
– How do organizations adapt to a radically new framework such as agile?
– Can Agility Work With a Waterfall Project Management Process in our Setting?
– Operationally, what does project management integration mean?
– Does your organization have a Project Management Office?
– What type of certificate will be awarded and by whom?
– What project management associations are you a member of?
– What about when our context is not so simple?
– What project management certifications do you hold?
– How does cost of change affect software?
Project manager Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Project manager management and optimize Project manager leadership as a key to advancement.
– There is lots of discussion about the role of a project manager; whether a project manager is needed in the agile world or not. How much and which way a traditional project manager has to change his/her management style or way of working in order to be an agile project manager?
– With agile processes promoting the concept of self-directed teams, is there room for the conventional project manager or does this role also need to evolve to suit the principles of the new paradigm?
– Do we have these warning signs: This project is not that big and everyone knows what they are doing -why do we need a project manager?
– How can an agile project manager balance team level autonomy and individual level autonomy in agile software teams?
– What are the actions taken by project managers when leading and implementing a transformational change initiative?
– What should the project manager(s) do differently next time your organization undergoes a change process?
– What processes do project managers and content strategists use to collect content for client websites?
– What are the most important skills practitioners consider make an effective people project manager?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Business case project manager?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Business case leaders?
– What project management qualifications does the Project Manager have?
– Can we do Business case without complex (expensive) analysis?
– Can project managers measure project status at any point in time?
– What is the necessity of a Project Manager?
– What is the duty of a Project Manager?
– What was the project manager best at?
– Who are the project managers?
Public sector Critical Criteria:
Learn from Public sector issues and report on the economics of relationships managing Public sector and constraints.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Business case processes?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Business case?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Business case?
Reference class forecasting Critical Criteria:
Chart Reference class forecasting tactics and forecast involvement of future Reference class forecasting projects in development.
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Business case project?
– Think of your Business case project. what are the main functions?
Resources Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Resources quality and find answers.
– When information truly is ubiquitous, when reach and connectivity are completely global, when computing resources are infinite, and when a whole new set of impossibilities are not only possible, but happening, what will that do to our business?
– Who will be responsible for leading the various bcp teams (e.g., crisis/emergency, recovery, technology, communications, facilities, Human Resources, business units and processes, Customer Service)?
– What constraints apply, either in the nature and scope of our design effort (time, cost, funding, and other resources) or in the nature (size, cost, weight, etc.) of our solution?
– Which cloud service management process monitors and reports on allocation and utilization of resources by consumers in order to generate a chargeback report?
– Are Human Resources subject to screening, and do they have terms and conditions of employment defining their information security responsibilities?
– Under what circumstances might the company disclose personal data to third parties and what steps does the company take to safeguard that data?
– Which component(s) of a cloud infrastructure framework helps automating the creation and delivery of computing resources to the consumers?
– Do organizations have a methodology in place for the proper allocation of business resources to invest in, create, and maintain IT standards?
– Do you have resources, processes, and methodologies in place to provide training and organizational change management services?
– What are the procedures for adding and deleting users and adding/removing applications/resources in the organization?
– Can the cloud services provide enough resources and extra capacity to meet increased demand from all of their customers?
– Which management activity ensures adequate availability of resources based on a service level objective?
– Do we identify desired outcomes and key indicators (if not already existing) such as what metrics?
– Do you have enough resources to achieve your new product goals?
– Do you have Human Resources available to support your policies?
– What do users think of the information?
– Analytic Applications: Build or Buy?
Software upgrade Critical Criteria:
Design Software upgrade results and drive action.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Business case process?
– What will drive Business case change?
Stakeholder Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Stakeholder decisions and define what our big hairy audacious Stakeholder goal is.
– Much of the agile advice is oriented towards small teams of up to ten people, who are either co-located or near located, who have ready access to their primary stakeholders, and who are working on software that can be easily organized into a series of small releases. What about large teams?
– When do we begin thinking about who are the key stakeholders, groups, and individuals in the organization who must feel the need for change for team training to happen. are they on-board yet?
– Are we communicating about our Cybersecurity Risk Management programs including the effectiveness of those programs to stakeholders, including boards, investors, auditors, and insurers?
– What steps have executives included in the Change Management plan to identify and address customers and stakeholders concerns about the specific process to be reengineered?
– Are stakeholders, including eligible students or students parents, regularly notified about their rights under applicable federal and state laws governing data privacy?
– Would a committee or working party comprised of various stakeholders and members of the target group be useful?
– Are the people involved communicating effectively with each other, the target group and the stakeholders?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Business case?
– What are the stakeholders requirements and expectations in this process (especially the customers)?
– Are recovery activities communicated to internal stakeholders and executive and management teams?
– In a project to restructure Business case outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– How can cloud stakeholders ensure and promote the security of Cloud computing?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Business case been identified and analyzed?
– Are all Stakeholders supporting this vision?
– Does the hr plan work for our stakeholders?
– Which Stakeholder Characteristics Are Analyzed?
System performance Critical Criteria:
Chat re System performance decisions and explain and analyze the challenges of System performance.
– Is an asset management process(es) in place to inventory and manage this new asset (investment) from a property management perspective, to provide Configuration Management support, and to monitor system performance?
– Have you considered that metrics collection, and system performance and security monitoring are more difficult in the cloud?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Business case process?
– What are the important external or multisectoral determinants of system performance?
– What are the business goals Business case is aiming to achieve?
Win-win Critical Criteria:
Study Win-win governance and get going.
– Think about the functions involved in your Business case project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Business case delivery for example is new software needed?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Business case Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Business case External links:
How to write a business case – Reference from WhatIs.com
[PDF]Business Case Presentation – Organizational …
Business plan External links:
Free Business Plan Samples | Bplans
[PDF]Sample Business Plan Title Page |Cantonnewyork.us
Case competition External links:
Case Competitions | UConn MBA Program
APRU-NYT Asia-Pacific Case Competition 2017
Best Buy Case Competition by Kristy Falango on Prezi
Customer satisfaction External links:
Weis Customer Satisfaction Survey
DICK’S Sporting Goods – Customer Satisfaction Survey
Belk Customer Satisfaction Survey – Welcome
Gap analysis External links:
HIPAA Gap Analysis and Training – Texas Medical …
CMS Emergency Preparedness Gap Analysis – Everbridge
4 Essentials to Mitigate Fallout From a Pay-Gap Analysis
Net present value External links:
How to Calculate Net Present Value (Npv) in Excel – YouTube
Net Present Value – NPV – Investopedia – NPV
Net Present Value Calculator | Investopedia
Opportunity cost External links:
Opportunity Cost – Investopedia
Opportunity Cost Flashcards | Quizlet
G-Eazy – Opportunity Cost – YouTube
Optimism bias External links:
The optimism bias | Tali Sharot – YouTube
Why Optimism Bias May Work Against You | Prudential …
The Optimism Bias and Its Impact – Verywell
Presentation External links:
untitled presentation – scribd.com
Create Stunning Title Slide For Your Presentation
Project External links:
Home | Cugnon Project
Project management External links:
Project Management – as effective as it gets.
Ad · www.zoho.com/Projects
LearnSmart IT & Project Management Online Training …
Construction Project Management Software | BuildingBlok
Project manager External links:
Virtual Project Manager – Storm Water Compliance & …
Condo Project Manager (CPM) – Fannie Mae | Home
HyperSwiss – Kanban project manager
Public sector External links:
Public Sector – Employers | Aetna
SunGard Public Sector NaviLine® – Indiana
CGI Public Sector Cloud
Reference class forecasting External links:
Musings on project management: Reference Class Forecasting
The planning fallacy and reference class forecasting
reference class forecasting | AITopics
aitopics.org/tag/reference class forecasting
Resources External links:
TEACH Resources: TEACH System :OTI:NYSED
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources: Minnesota …
Software upgrade External links:
HOOK Software Upgrade 2.0 | Lowrance
VZ software upgrade assistant | Verizon Community
Stakeholder External links:
About Stakeholder Enterprise Portal – Liferay
System performance External links:
Comparative Health System Performance (CHSP) …
Improving System Performance without Adding Memory …
Win-win External links:
Win-Win (2016) – IMDb