What is involved in Value stream mapping
Find out what the related areas are that Value stream mapping connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Value stream mapping thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Value stream mapping journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Value stream mapping leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Value stream mapping related domains to cover and 98 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Value stream mapping, Business process mapping, Control plan, Design of experiments, Failure mode and effects analysis, Forrester effect mapping, Information and Software Technology, International Standard Book Number, Kaizen, Multi-vari chart, Operations management, Pareto chart, Poka-yoke, Process capability, Product development, Project charter, Quality filter mapping, Root cause analysis, Shigeo Shingo, Six Sigma, Statistical process control, Supply chain responsiveness matrix, Toyota, Value chain, Value stream mapping software, Voice of the customer:
Value stream mapping Critical Criteria:
Mix Value stream mapping projects and cater for concise Value stream mapping education.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Value stream mapping strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Does Value stream mapping systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Value stream mapping? There might be some that are less obvious?
Business process mapping Critical Criteria:
Define Business process mapping goals and triple focus on important concepts of Business process mapping relationship management.
– How will you know that the Value stream mapping project has been successful?
– Are accountability and ownership for Value stream mapping clearly defined?
– How to Secure Value stream mapping?
Control plan Critical Criteria:
Graph Control plan tactics and create Control plan explanations for all managers.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Value stream mapping leader?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Value stream mapping?
Design of experiments Critical Criteria:
Investigate Design of experiments management and find the essential reading for Design of experiments researchers.
– Do we monitor the Value stream mapping decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– How do we manage Value stream mapping Knowledge Management (KM)?
– What is our Value stream mapping Strategy?
Failure mode and effects analysis Critical Criteria:
Learn from Failure mode and effects analysis quality and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Failure mode and effects analysis projects.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Value stream mapping. How do we gain traction?
– Among the Value stream mapping product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Value stream mapping opportunities costing us money?
Forrester effect mapping Critical Criteria:
Look at Forrester effect mapping risks and perfect Forrester effect mapping conflict management.
– Can we add value to the current Value stream mapping decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– What are the short and long-term Value stream mapping goals?
– How will you measure your Value stream mapping effectiveness?
Information and Software Technology Critical Criteria:
Meet over Information and Software Technology planning and create a map for yourself.
– Does Value stream mapping analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– Do Value stream mapping rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– Is a Value stream mapping Team Work effort in place?
International Standard Book Number Critical Criteria:
X-ray International Standard Book Number failures and secure International Standard Book Number creativity.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Value stream mapping information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Is Value stream mapping dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Kaizen Critical Criteria:
Boost Kaizen goals and slay a dragon.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Value stream mapping project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Value stream mapping project lifecycle?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Value stream mapping is underway?
– What is Effective Value stream mapping?
Multi-vari chart Critical Criteria:
Understand Multi-vari chart adoptions and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Multi-vari chart.
– What is the source of the strategies for Value stream mapping strengthening and reform?
– Is the Value stream mapping organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– Why are Value stream mapping skills important?
Operations management Critical Criteria:
Test Operations management goals and research ways can we become the Operations management company that would put us out of business.
– What are the most important capabilities we consider when evaluating asset and Service Management providers?
– Do we have a high level of process automation connecting our asset and Service Management?
– What are the business goals Value stream mapping is aiming to achieve?
– Do you have a single view into it Service Management?
– Is our company developing its Human Resources?
– How can the value of Value stream mapping be defined?
– How do we maintain Value stream mappings Integrity?
Pareto chart Critical Criteria:
Steer Pareto chart adoptions and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Pareto chart is getting what it needs.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Value stream mapping models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– What are our needs in relation to Value stream mapping skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Value stream mapping moving forward?
Poka-yoke Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Poka-yoke goals and look for lots of ideas.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Value stream mapping experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– To what extent does management recognize Value stream mapping as a tool to increase the results?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Value stream mapping activities?
Process capability Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Process capability outcomes and describe the risks of Process capability sustainability.
– What are the Essentials of Internal Value stream mapping Management?
Product development Critical Criteria:
Judge Product development visions and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Product development information.
– A dramatic step toward becoming a learning organization is to appoint a chief training officer (CTO) or a chief learning officer (CLO). Many organizations claim to value Human Resources, but how many have a Human Resources representative involved in discussions about research and development commercialization, new product development, the strategic vision of the company, or increasing shareholder value?
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Value stream mapping? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– The owner of the product development processes in one of the companies stated: there are no product managers named in the company, what should they do?
– What can we do to ensure that all the necessary product development steps are adequately followed under the pressure of being first to market?
– Compare sequential product development and simultaneous product development. what are the advantages and disadvantages of each approach?
– Project type: what percent of resources should go to new product developments?
– What are we trying to do whilst progressing a product development lifecycle ?
– How should you most effectively invest your product development resources?
– How do we Identify specific Value stream mapping investment and emerging trends?
– Which step in new product development you think is the most important?
– Do you collaborate with customers for product development and/or innovation?
– Do you collaborate with customers for product development andor innovation?
– What are the steps in the new product development process?
– How can new product development be sped up?
Project charter Critical Criteria:
Graph Project charter issues and adjust implementation of Project charter.
– Do we all define Value stream mapping in the same way?
Quality filter mapping Critical Criteria:
Deduce Quality filter mapping results and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Quality filter mapping.
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Value stream mapping project?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Value stream mapping study?
– Think of your Value stream mapping project. what are the main functions?
Root cause analysis Critical Criteria:
Participate in Root cause analysis quality and adopt an insight outlook.
– What is our formula for success in Value stream mapping ?
– Are we Assessing Value stream mapping and Risk?
– Do we do Root Cause Analysis?
Shigeo Shingo Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Shigeo Shingo strategies and oversee Shigeo Shingo management by competencies.
– Does our organization need more Value stream mapping education?
– Is Value stream mapping Required?
Six Sigma Critical Criteria:
Canvass Six Sigma outcomes and perfect Six Sigma conflict management.
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– Will Value stream mapping deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– How is Lean Six Sigma different from TOGAF Architecture?
– What will drive Value stream mapping change?
Statistical process control Critical Criteria:
Mix Statistical process control outcomes and develop and take control of the Statistical process control initiative.
– Are Acceptance Sampling and Statistical Process Control Complementary or Incompatible?
– How do we measure improved Value stream mapping service perception, and satisfaction?
Supply chain responsiveness matrix Critical Criteria:
Dissect Supply chain responsiveness matrix issues and probe the present value of growth of Supply chain responsiveness matrix.
– What are the usability implications of Value stream mapping actions?
Toyota Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Toyota visions and catalog Toyota activities.
– Toyota is the role model and the most highly developed example of the potency of systems thinking and action learning in its broadest sense. but why, if the tps is so successful, is toyota along with its circle of suppliers still almost the lone manufacturing example?
– Agile project management with Scrum derives from best business practices in companies like Fuji-Xerox, Honda, Canon, and Toyota. Toyota routinely achieves four times the productivity and 12 times the quality of competitors. Can Scrum do the same for globally distributed teams?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Value stream mapping?
– Is there any existing Value stream mapping governance structure?
– What threat is Value stream mapping addressing?
Value chain Critical Criteria:
Devise Value chain tactics and oversee Value chain management by competencies.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Value stream mapping project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
Value stream mapping software Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Value stream mapping software engagements and shift your focus.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Value stream mapping processes?
– How do we know that any Value stream mapping analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– What are current Value stream mapping Paradigms?
Voice of the customer Critical Criteria:
Explore Voice of the customer results and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Voice of the customer services.
– Consider your own Value stream mapping project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Value stream mapping Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Value stream mapping External links:
Title V Value Stream Mapping | Iowa Department of …
[DOC]Value Stream Mapping – American Academy of …
Value Stream Mapping – Advanced Management Services
Business process mapping External links:
Business Process Mapping – bc-racing.store
Control plan External links:
How to Develop an Anger Management Control Plan
Where is Bernie Sanders’ gun control plan? – CNNPolitics
Design of experiments External links:
[PDF]Statistical Design of Experiments
[PPT]Design of Experiments – University of Kentucky
The design of experiments. (Book, 1935) [WorldCat.org]
Failure mode and effects analysis External links:
[PDF]FAILURE MODE AND EFFECTS ANALYSIS (FMEA)
[DOC]FAILURE MODE AND EFFECTS ANALYSIS (FMEA)
Forrester effect mapping External links:
Definitions of forrester effect mapping, synonyms, antonyms, derivatives of forrester effect mapping, analogical dictionary of forrester effect mapping (English)
10.1139/cjr48c-007 – doi.org
Information and Software Technology External links:
Information and Software Technology – Official Site
Information and Software Technology – Journal – Elsevier
International Standard Book Number External links:
What is an ISBN (International Standard Book Number)?
[PDF]International Standard Book Number: 0-942920-53-8
Kaizen External links:
The Kaizen Way to Wellness | Dr. Tomas Hemgren
Kaizen Foam – FastCap – Woodworking Tools
When and how to use kaizen events – Reliable Plant
Multi-vari chart External links:
Multi-Vari Chart and Analysis Book – M/PCpS
ASQ: The Multi-Vari Chart: An Underutilized Quality Tool
Operations management External links:
Operations management (Book, 2012) [WorldCat.org]
Pareto chart External links:
How to Create a Pareto Chart in MS Excel 2010: 14 Steps
Pareto Chart Analysis (Pareto Diagram) | ASQ
Poka-yoke External links:
[PPT]Mistake Proofing & Poka-yoke – landp.com.au
Poka-Yoke | Michel Baudin’s Blog
Process capability External links:
Process capability indices (Book, 1993) [WorldCat.org]
Process Capability (Cp, Cpk) and Process Performance …
www.isixsigma.com › … › Capability Indices/Process Capability
Product development External links:
What is product development (new product development, …
New Product Development Center
Invention Design, Product Development & Licensing | …
Project charter External links:
What Is a Project Charter? Steering Your Project to Success
Root cause analysis External links:
Medical Error Prevention and Root Cause Analysis – NetCE
[PDF]Root Cause Analysis
Online Root Cause Analysis Toolkit – Minnesota Dept. of …
Shigeo Shingo External links:
Shigeo Shingo Quotes – Lean Six Sigma Belgium
SHIGEO SHINGO ~ SUS APORTES – YouTube
Dr. Shigeo Shingo – the master of lean manufacturing
Six Sigma External links:
Lean Six Sigma | Greenville Technical College
Online Lean and Six Sigma Training Videos | Gemba Academy
Six Sigma Green Belt Certification CSSGB – ASQ
Statistical process control External links:
What is SPC – Statistical Process Control? | InfinityQS
Statistical Process Control (SPC) Tutorial – MoreSteam.com
[PDF]Statistical Process Control based on SPC 2 nd Edition
Supply chain responsiveness matrix External links:
Supply chain responsiveness matrix – Revolvy
update.revolvy.com/topic/Supply chain responsiveness matrix
Toyota External links:
Toyota – Official Site
Toyota Financial – Official Site
Southeast Toyota Finance
Value chain External links:
Data Value Chain | Onvia
[PDF]The Value Chain From Competitive Advantage , by …
U.S. Global Value Chain Coalition
Value stream mapping software External links:
Value Stream Mapping Software | Lucidchart
Value Stream Mapping Software | BreezeTree
Value Stream Mapping Software – Process Improvement …
Voice of the customer External links:
The voice of the customer (Book, 1992) [WorldCat.org]
Print Page – Voice of the Customer – Plusnet Usergroup
[PPT]Voice of the Customer: Office 365 – Microsoft